November 1958 Opened “Hozenji sushi-han”
August 1968 Established "Amagasaki sushi-han Co.,Ltd." in Amagasaki city, Hyogo (Actual establishment of surviving company)
July 1974 Changed the company name to "Sato Co.,Ltd"
September 1989 Listed on the First Section of the Osaka Securities Exchange
October 1998 Changed the company name to "SATO RESTAURANT SYSTEMS CO., LTD."
June 2009 Launched all-you-can-eat shabu-shabu "Sato-shabu"
October 2010 Established "SATO·ARCLAND FOODSERVICE CO.,LTD."
August 2012 Opened the first store of "Tendon Tempura Honpo Santen" in Sumiyoshi Ward, Osaka City
July 2013 Acquired 100% ownership of "FOODSNET Corporation"
July 2013 By TSE and OSE integration, listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange
September 2016 Acquired 100% ownership of "MIYAMOTO MUNASHI CO., LTD."
April 2017 Transferred 100% ownership of "Sushi-han Co.,Ltd." to Umenohana Co.,Ltd.
October 2017 Changed the company name to "SRS HOLDINGS CO.,LTD."

Meotozenzai was founded in 1883

More than a century ago, an unusual eatery serving zenzai (sweet red bean soup) opened within the grounds of Hozenji Temple. Jubei Kimonji, chief actor in Japanese bunraku puppet theater with the stage name of Kindayu Takemoto, first named the eatery "Ofuku," meaning "Good fortune" What was unusual about this eatery was that he divided a single portion of zenzai into two bowls. People would say, "Hey, this is different! Why are there two of them?" Hearing this, his wife Koto and daughter Kame, who actually ran the restaurant, laughed and answered, "Thank you. These bowls are husband and wife" They did it because they thought dividing the food into two bowls would make it appear there was a lot inside, but it turned out to be a big hit. Later this idea led to Meotozenzai (Meoto means "husband and wife").

Meotozenzai enjoyed a boom due to a popular novel of the same by Sakunosuke Oda

In 1940, Sakunosuke Oda published the novel "Meotozenzai"
Oda was then a popular writer from the west of Japan, rivaling Osamu Dazai from the east.
The story goes as follows: Choko is a firm and steadfast geisha while her husband Ryukichi is the weak-willed, prodigal son of a rich middleman. They try to run a razor shop, Kanto-style food shop, fruit shop, and cafe one after another but all in vain.
At last Ryukichi disappears, leaving her alone. One day, however, he unexpectedly returns and takes Choko out, saying he wants to eat something good. They visit the Hozenji Temple area, and turning from the Dotonbori alley into Sennichimae, they come across the lantern sign of the "Moeto Zenzai" eatery.
Seeing that each person is served two bowls of zenzai.
Choko says, "So you're trying to say that being in a couple is better than being single"
The novel was made into a movie of the same name, which also turned out to be a big hit.

Meotozenzai HISTORY

Sakunosuke Oda publishes "Meotozenzai" his debut novel, at the age of 27.
Kame, Meotozenzai's operator, is evacuated due to wartime bombing.
The eatery reopens under new ownership at Ebisubashi Minamizume near the south end of the Ebisu bridge.
Drama producer Seiichiro Hirai opens a zenzai eatery in Sakamachi near the front gate of Hozenji Temple (close to Sennichimae 1-chome), and runs it for two years.
Founding president Susumu Shigesato opens the Sushihan store in an alley near Hozenji Temple. It grows popular as a "nabe house for people on the move" serving low-priced sushi and nabe hotpot.
The "Midori" restaurant opens within the temple grounds on the current site of the Sato restaurant.
The founding president revives the name "Meotozenzai"
Jubei Kimonji opened Ofuku ("Good fortune"), a zenzai (sweet red bean soup) eatery in the Ukiyo Koji alley near Hozenji temple.
After his death, his daughter Kame took over.
In 2006, the main branches of Sushihan Hozenji and Meouto Zenzai stores opened in the Hozenji Meouto Building.

Page Top